Laser Gum Treatment (LANAP)
LANAP is a Laser Gum treatment that, in many cases, is the best option to treat gum disease.
Gums help anchor and protect the teeth. Often, with proper oral hygiene and care, they remain healthy for a long time. Genetics or poor dental hygiene can result in gum disease. In order to preserve the health of the teeth, gums and jawbone, problems with the gums need to be addressed immediately. While there are many options for treatment, in most cases, LANAP is the optimal procedure.
What is LANAP?
LANAP is laser treatment that has been approved by the FDA to treat gum disease. Patients often experience less pain or discomfort than through other treatment alternatives. During the treatment, Dr. Clagett is able to precisely target inflamed areas, which prevents damage to the healthy gums that surround the affected areas.
LANAP also helps slow down the detachment of gums from the teeth. Through this process, pocket depth (the separation from tooth and gum) is decreased over time. This means that you can recover from long-term inflammations and infections. Dr. Clagett considers LANAP one of the best options for treating gum disease.
What Should You Expect?
- The LANAP treatment is often performed in 2 visits and each visit lasts for 2 hours.
- One side of the mouth is treated during the first visit and the other side during the second visit. Dr. Clagett typically recommends three to four weeks between the two treatment sessions to allow for proper recovery.
- Dr. Clagett may splint loose teeth during the procedure if necessary. These splints are used to stabilize your teeth and ensure they don’t move, which in turn, speeds the healing process.
- You may experience slight soreness in the treated areas.
- The gum tissues around the teeth may appear to be slightly discolored for a number of days.
- Dr. Clagett will adjust your bite over the course of a few months after the procedure. This will promote healing and ensure that your teeth are secure.
- You may only brush the biting surface of the treated teeth 3 weeks after treatment. You will not be able to floss or use a water pick until after your first post-operative visit.
- You will also need to follow a soft diet recommended by the Dr. Clagett in order to ensure the teeth and gums aren’t stressed during recovery.
Smoking can interfere with the healing process so it’s important to stop smoking after the procedure.
What Are the Biggest Advantages of LANAP?
LANAP provides effective proven results. Here are some of the distinct advantages of this laser gum treatment:
- You will experience less pain and sensitivity after the procedure.
- You are less likely to bleed or experience swelling.
- You will experience little to no healthy gum tissue loss.
- Recovery is short so that you can get back to your day-to-day activities immediately after initial healing.
- There’s a lower risk of post-op infections.
- The LANAP procedure supports regeneration of gum tissues.
- You are likely to heal faster and be more comfortable.
If you want to know more about laser gum treatment, don’t hesitate to contact us at Clagett Periodontics in Elizabethtown, KY and book a consultation today.