These instructions are applicable to surgical procedures that have been performed by Clagett Periodontics in Kentucky. They are specially designed to help maximize healing, minimize post-surgical pain and discomfort. Additionally, these instructions will help you understand if there is a situation where you may need to seek special medical attention.
- Avoid brushing and eating on the surgical area for at least 1 month unless otherwise instructed. Take all medicines as directed.
- When antibiotics are prescribed, please finish all pills in order to prevent re-infection.
- If a Medrol Dose Pack is prescribed, take all of day 1 pills the first day (independent of time prescribed), then follow directtions on pack.
- Apply ice to outside of surgical area with minimal pressure for 20 minutes per hour for first day, then periodically for next 2-3 days. If you provide at least 30 minutes between ice applications, you may ice the area as often as you like to prevent pain and swelling.
- If ProVantage AO gel therapy is dispensed, apply the gel 5 times per day for the first 2 weeks then 2 times per day for daily maintenance.
- Do not use any over the counter rinses unless otherwise directed.
- Please limit your activity for 2-3 days following surgery. If you feel a pulse in the surgical area during your activity, it is a sign that you are over-exerting and you need to minimize your activity.
- Lastly, some swelling, discomfort and minimal bleeding can be expected. Extreme pain, golf ball-like swelling, pus drainage or profound bleeding is abnormal and you need to contact Dr. Clagett immediately.
You may reach Dr. Clagett at the office during normal business hours (270) 982-7377.